Saturday, May 10, 2008

How Could You?

To the people who mugged my uncle:
I wish that you would have gotten to know my uncle before you mugged him. My Dad says that it should be a law of the universe that you have to get to know the people you are about to harm before you harm them. My uncle is the father of thirteen beautiful, brilliant, and charming children. He is the husband of a beautiful wife who is deeply committed to serving the Lord and being the best mother and wife she can be. He is one of the most sincere, honest, and hard-working men I know of. He drives trucks for UPS. To give you an example of his astounding character, I will tell you about an experience I shared with him just a few days ago. Last Monday he woke up around 4am so he could come get my cousin and I from our school in Chicago. He pretty much loaded and unloaded two large carts of our stuff and junk for us each. He is a busy man, yet he made time for us. And he wanted to talk to us. He was so interested in what we had thought of college. As our conversation progressed and we talked about how screwed up America is, I actually felt a sense of peace. Like although America is screwed up, at least there are still good people out there like my uncle and my cousin. And at least we are talking about things and exchanging perspectives and getting some grasp on this crazy world. And while we didn't agree on everything, my uncle still greatly respected the opinions of my cousin and I and also supported me in certain choices that I have made. As the miles stretched on and our conversation continued, I was filled with joy to hear others who were committed to hard work and helping the underdog. My uncle cares for so many other people than himself. Did you take any of these things into consideration, you crooks? Well, let me tell you something else. Do you want to know who is usually the first person to volunteer to help my Gramma when she needs any work on her house done? Well, I'll give you a clue. You savagely beat him and tried to take his money. MY UNCLE IS SO OFTEN THE FIRST PERSON TO HELP ANYONE IN NEED. He organizes people to shingle roofs, put in decks, etc. Whatever needs to be done, he will be out there, rain or shine, working to get it done. And let me just re-iterate something to you criminals. He is a dearly loved man; loved by friends, family, children, his wife, and God. They have to see the man who they love so much with a bloody and severely swollen face; with a broken nose, jaw, and eye orbitals. They have to hear his distorted voice, which constantly reveals to them that he is in pain. My cousin had to hear him cry out in pain, after he had run about six blocks, probably scared out of his mind, trying to ensure that he was safely away from you sickos. Do you realize that you did not only hurt my uncle, but you wounded everyone who loves him, which is many people? I wish you could see the tears his children, wife, friends, and family have cried. I wish you could see my Dad's tears, as he spoke through the pain, "Bryan is not my brother-in-law, he's my brother." To have such an innocent man be attacked like this is really like having a piece of our heart ripped off, because so many of us would rather have had our bones broken rather than see Bryan get attacked like this. So, you malicious ones, I don't know if any of this would change your heart. I don't know if the sign Bryan's kids made for him for when he comes home from the hospital saying "Welcome home Daddy!" would do a thing for you, but I really hope this would. You need to stop doing this. I am too angry to pray for you people right now, but you really need the prayers. Our family has love, we have joined together in solidarity to support Bryan and get through this tragedy, and to be thankful that Bryan is still alive and with us. But for you people, there is obviously something missing from your lives, and you obviously do not understand the concept of love. May God help you.

No comments: